Our move to Austin is only a few short weeks away, so I'm doing my best to prepare. In my research, I found some genius packing tips... (because let's be real, the faster you're done moving, the faster you are to eating a slice of pizza!).
- Find free boxes. Boxes can be an unexpected moving cost, so finding them for free will bring you plenty of peace of mind! Try checking your local grocery or liquor stores, or even the "free" section on Craigslist. Listen up for friends and family who may be moving around the same time as you and team up on boxes.
- Pack boxes by room. Label them accordingly, and this will help you (or your movers) get everything where it needs to be – and keeps you from searching endlessly later!
- Place books in rolling suitcases. They easily weigh down boxes and cause them to break, and a suitcase will hold up much better than cardboard. A bonus element is that those wheels will come in handy on your way to and from the moving truck.
- Get your rugs professionally cleaned before you move. When they come back from the cleaners, they'll be rolled and wrapped – ready to be packed.
- Leave your clothes on the hangers. You can either hang them in a wardrobe box, or lay them in suitcases. When you get to your new home, all you'll have to do is take them out and hang them in the closet.
- Use sandwich bags for small important items – like screws. When disassembling a bed frame or other piece of furniture, assign the tiny pieces that come with it a labeled sandwich bag.
- Pack a bag or one box for your "first night" items. Place toilet paper, a change of clothes, basic toiletries and anything else you might need right away in this bag. An extra tip? Go ahead and include a couple of things to help you feel "at home" and relax – like a candle, a movie, and a bottle of wine.
Psst... the July newsletter goes out today and it has a special treat in it for you! Not signed up? Just fill out the form in the sidebar. You'll get the newsletter in your inbox at 1:00 today!